Healthy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
BeefStroganoff is a Russian dish that combines the trio of juicy beef,mouthwatering sauce, and fresh noodles. While this meal may look simple, it canplease even the pickiest of taste buds. If you want to make Beef Stroganoff forfamily or friends, start with this healthy version adapted from Simply Organic.
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 pound grass-fed beef tips
- 1cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup grape, pomegranate,or cranberry juice
- 2 packages Simply Organic Mushroom Sauce Mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles (you may also substitute ricefor the egg noodles)
- Ina large skillet, heat ¼ cup water on high and brown beef on each side.
- Addsliced mushrooms and sauté with beef for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Add 1 cup water, juice, and MushroomSauce Mix and stir. Blend in sour cream.
- Leave meat/sauce dish simmering on low heat andprepare egg noodles according to the directions on the package. Serve mixtureover prepared noodles when ready.
Note: This dish is traditionally served overnoodles, but it’s delicious without. You may also substitute the noodles forspaghetti squash or rice.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Flavors Abound With This Healthy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
There’s no doubt that the star of this dish is grass-fed beef.It contains vitamins, minerals, higher conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) levels, anda balanced ratio of essential omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.Ideally, grass-fed beef is what you should use in your family’s meals, not conventionalgrain-fed beef.
Grain-fed cows are fed grain and growth hormonesand additives, a far cry from their usual diet of grass. What’s worse, thesecows aren’t able to roam around pastures, unlike grass-fed cows. Instead,they’re kept in cramped living conditions, a potential breeding ground fordiseases that could mean disaster for your health.
Want creamier dishes without the guilt? Use sour cream, since it’s lighter without skipping the flavor. However,most sour cream sold today is made from milk and cream tainted with rBGH, agrowth hormone that was found to increase breast cancer risk. Use sour cream made from organic and unpasteurizedraw milk instead. Even better, make your own sour cream from fresh, raw, andorganic cream by combining it with a lacto-fermentation starter culture.
Mushrooms not only provide additional flavor to this recipe, but health benefits too. They help manage your weight, boost yourimmune system, allow nerves to regenerate, and even destroy cancer cells. Youcan use any type of mushroom you have on hand, but make sure to clean them witha damp cloth before using to prevent mushroom poisoning.