Turmeric: The go-to natural remedy for chronic scalp psoriasis
(Natural News) Turmeric is a flowering plant native to Southeast Asia. It has a bright yellow color that adds vibrancy to dishes. Turmeric is also used in Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for various ailments. Its active compound, curcumin, is effective against many diseases that involve inflammation. A recent study reported that curcumin can be used to manage the symptoms of psoriasis.
Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes red, scaly patches to appear anywhere on the skin. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines psoriasis as a chronic, noncommunicable, painful, disfiguring, and disabling disease for which there is no cure.
Today, psoriasis is managed using medications that contain retinoids and steroids, but scientists are looking for a more natural approach to treat psoriasis. They are now focusing on plant-based chemicals with medicinal properties like curcumin, which is known for its powerful anti-inflammatory activities.
Turmeric can be used to treat psoriasis
In a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, researchers investigated the efficacy of turmeric in treating psoriasis. They recruited 40 participants with mild to moderate scalp psoriasis and gave them either a turmeric scalp tonic or a placebo. Both groups were instructed to use what they were given two times a day for nine weeks.
The participants were evaluated prior to the study and at the end of the third, sixth, and ninth week. These evaluations involved answering a questionnaire called the Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI), and undergoing physical examination to determine their Psoriasis Area & Severity Index (PASI) scores. Photos of each participant’s scalp were also taken before, during, and after treatment to keep track of any changes.
The results showed that the turmeric tonic reduced psoriasis symptoms like skin reddening, scaling, and hardening of dry skin. The participants who received the turmeric tonic also reported that their lives significantly improved after using it. (Related: Curcumin Naturally Fights Cancer, Heart Disease, Alzheimer`s Disease and Obesity.)
From these results, the researchers concluded that the turmeric tonic is a safe and effective treatment for mild to moderate psoriasis.
Other health benefits of curcumin
The curcumin found in turmeric offers a plethora of health benefits. These include:
- Reduced inflammation — Curcumin can alleviate chronic inflammation which is involved in the development of serious health problems, such as heart disease and cancer.
- Increased antioxidant capacity — The antioxidant properties of curcumin allow it to rid the body of harmful free radicals. Curcumin also enhances the activity of antioxidants in the body.
- Improved production of BDNF — Curcumin can improve the production of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). BDNF deficiency is linked to serious disorders, such as depression and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Improved blood vessel function — Curcumin helps blood vessels by improving the function of blood vessel linings called endothelium. Better endothelial function leads to regulated blood pressure and reduced risk of blood clotting.
- Anti-cancer activities — Curcumin can fight cancer by reducing the growth of cancer cells. Curcumin also stops angiogenesis or the formation of new blood vessels associated with metastatic tumors.
- Treatment of depression — Curcumin can treat depression and improve mental health. In a study published in Phytotherapy Research, scientists compared the effects of curcumin with those of Prozac and found that curcumin can cause the same improvements in depressive patients as the commonly used antidepressant.
Turmeric is a superfood that’s beneficial to the health. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory component curcumin, turmeric can be used as an alternative medicine for the treatment of chronic diseases like psoriasis. To reduce disease-causing inflammation naturally, add this amazing superfood to your diet.
For more information about turmeric and how it benefits the body, visit Turmeric.news.