Quebec joins Bombardier in condemning latest U.S. duty on CSeries jets
The Quebec government joined Bombardier Friday in condemning a new U.S. duty of nearly 80 per cent on its CSeries jet.
Olivier Marcil, vice-president of external relations at Bombardier, said the Montreal-based company was in “complete disagreement” with the U.S. Commerce Department’s decision Friday to impose a 79.82 per cent preliminary anti-dumping duty on its 100- to 150-seat civilian aircraft.
The new duty is in addition to a preliminary countervailing tariff of nearly 220 per cent that the U.S. government announced last week, bringing the total U.S. duties imposed on the CSeries to almost 300 per cent.
“It’s completely disproportionate,” Marcil said.
He emphasized, however, that the ruling is preliminary, and the U.S. International Trade Commission will have the final say in the matter.
Bombardier is hoping that decision will be made by the start of 2018.