Woman dies of flesh-eating bacteria after wading through flood waters in storm-ravaged Houston
(Natural News) Earlier this month we reported that as flood waters receded in storm-ravaged Texas and Florida from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma respectively the risk of contracting tissue-eating bacteria was much higher. And while that story dealt primarily with brain-eating bacteria, the danger that other micro-sized flesh consumers could emerge was laid out.
It now appears as though the fears were well-founded.
As reported by USA Today, a woman who lived in a suburban Houston neighborhood that experienced severe flooding has now died from a flesh-eating bacteria. Harris County medical examiners say the bacteria entered her body via a tear in her skin.
The autopsy conducted by the medical examiner’s office found that 77-year-old Nancy Reed died Sept. 15 from necrotizing fasciitis, which is more commonly known as a “flesh-eating bacteria.”
“It was difficult to learn because we saw her a lot, very often, at all of our events,” Erica Badamo, the development manager at Village Learning and Achievement Center, an educational center for adults and children who have disabilities, told the paper. It turns out that Reed was a long-time donor to the center, as well as a volunteer at her church and a number of non-profit groups.