Chef Quits Ottawa’s Winterlude Over Foie Gras « The Canadian Headlines Newspaper
by Kelly Roche, QMI Agency
OTTAWA — Famous Quebec chef Martin Picard has pulled out of Winterlude after being told he can’t use foie gras.
Organizers say pressure from animal-rights activists over the use of foie gras — the liver of force-fed ducks and geese — made them re-evaluate in mid-December.
“We all agreed that we could present this menu without foie gras,” said National Capital Commission spokeswoman Lucie Caron.
But Picard, who owns the celebrated restaurant Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal, decided to bow out.
About 450 people bought tickets to the opening event and have the option of getting a refund.
So far, Caron said about 20% have asked for the refund.
Another famous Canadian chef, Michael Smith of P.E.I., will be taking over.
Smith is the host of Chef Abroad, Chef at Home and Chef at Large seen on the Food Network.
Winterlude’s opening night is Feb. 4 at the Museum of Civilization in Gatineau.