Large Explosion Kills At Least 34 In Turkey’s Capital

  • An explosion in Ankara, Turkey’s Capital, has killed at least 34 and injured around 125 people, Turkey’s health minister told press.
  • The explosion was caused by a car bomb, Turkey’s Interior Minister confirmed.
  • No one has yet taken responsibility for the attack.
  • In mid-February a car bomb targeting military vehicles in Ankara killed 28.
  • In October an explosion at a peace rally also in the capital left 103 dead.

    Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu said 19 of those wounded were in serious condition Sunday night. He added that 30 of the fatalities were killed at the scene of the explosion, while the other four died later at nearby hospitals.

    The explosion was caused by a powerful car bomb and targeted civilians at a bus stop, Interior Minister Efkan Ala said in a statement Sunday.

    The blast took place in the center of the city in an area with a number of bus stops and it caused numerous surrounding vehicles to catch fire. At least one passenger bus was affected by the blast.

    Authorities have obtained evidence regarding the perpetrators of the attack, he said, but will not release information about those responsible until the investigation is closed.

    He added that the deadly attack would not deter Turkey from its battle against terrorism.

    This is the second large explosion to take place in the capital within a month.

    In mid-February, a car bomb targeting military shuttles exploded in Ankara, killing 28 people and injuring 81.

    Turkey blamed Syrian Kurdish groups for the attack and called it an act of terror.

    In October, an explosion killed 103 people at a peace rally near the Ankara railway station. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.

    The area was quickly evacuated in case of a second explosion while ambulances arrived at the scene, Hurriyet News reported.

    Turkey’s pro-Kurdish party, The Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), condemned Sunday’s attacks, saying it experienced “the huge pain felt along with our citizens.”

    The statement was notable because HDP is frequently accused of being the armed branch of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK)), which it vehemently denies.

    The party has also been accused in the past of not speaking out against violence attributed to the PKK.

    No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

    As Facebook turned on its “safety check,” option for those in Ankara, Turkish courts reportedly ordered bans on access Facebook and Twitter following the attack.

    In 2015 Turkey blocked access to Twitter when photographs of a prosecutor being held at gunpoint by far-left militants were being shared internationally.

    This is a developing news story. Check back for updates or follow BuzzFeed News on Twitter.

Read More..

About admin